Here's some soup for your soul...and your possibly awkward love life
A study out of the State University of New York at Albany found that 59% of men and 66% of women admit they’ve ended a developing relationship just because of a bad kiss.
So don’t let that happen to you and up your kissing game by not doing these things while smooching:
- Don't drink too much beforehand - If you know you’re going to be making out later, don’t overdo it with the cocktails. A glass of wine could calm your nerves, but moderation is key because kissing releases the same feel-good chemical that alcohol does - dopamine - so too much of that good thing could cloud your judgment.
- Don’t be afraid to rock lipstick - You might think your lipstick could prevent someone from wanting to kiss you, but a survey from Match and ColourPop shows women have more success getting that first kiss when they’re wearing lipstick.
- Don’t tilt your head to the left - Because two-thirds of people tilt theirs to the right when going in for a smooch, according to an observational study of kissing couples.
- Don’t have bad breath - This one kind of goes without saying, doesn’t it? But research backs it up. Studies have shown bad breath is a turn-off for everyone, but for women it affects whether or not they enjoyed the kiss more often than for men.
- Don’t do it if you feel pressured - When you feel anxious, your body releases cortisol, also known as the stress hormone. Kissing can decrease cortisol levels, but if you’re feeling pressured or uncomfortable about it, your cortisol levels will go back up and you won’t fully enjoy the kissing. So never feel bad for taking a pass on smooching.