You can get anything in New York City and this summer, some of the city’s ice cream shops are scooping up anything but ordinary flavors. From boozy treats to scoops with gold flakes, these are some of the craziest ice creams in NYC right now.
- Bring on the Babka- Among the artisanal small-batch flavors at Dasher And Crank is Babka n Cream, which founder Daniel Levine calls “a transcendent experience.” It’s loaded with “tons and tons of chunks” of babka made by Orthodox Jewish baker Zak the Baker.
- 24-Karat Cone- Chinese dessert bar Sweet Gloria is serving its sea-salt-mascarpone and lychee-rose soft-serve swirl with its signature gold flake topping this month, creating a “perfect combination” of flavors.
- Globe-trotting Goodness- At Sugar Hill Creamery, they’ve got flavors from beyond their Harlem neighborhood, including Tuma Buna, an Ethopian coffee ice cream with honey, tumeric and ginger candy, and Roasted Corn Jalapeño, a nod to co-owner Nick Larsen’s childhood in Iowa.
- Popped to Perfection- Fans of caramel corn will flip for the Caramel Popcorn soft serve at Spot Dessert Bar that comes with a caramel drizzle and popcorn pieces.
- For the shellfish lovers- If you can’t get enough lobster, try it in your ice cream this summer at Cousins Maine Lobster. This frozen treat is made with lobster meat that’s sauteed in butter then frozen into vanilla bean ice cream and while its not for everyone, it’s definitely decadent.
- Sake to me- At the Japanese bistro Hall, they use a byproduct of sake-making, sake kasu, to create their ice cream sandwiches. It’s said to give the goodies a “pleasantly floral taste” but without the alcohol. The ice cream and a “smattering of jammy azuki red beans” go between wafer cookies to create the sake kasu ice cream sandwiches.