What is it about Target that everybody loves? Maybe because you can buy just about anything there! I don't know about you but I go into Target not needing anything but I leave with a cart full of goods! No joke, one day I went into Target to get a black t-shirt and I left with a new board game, socks, boots, and new mascara. So to say the least, I am not trusted to go into Target with my wallet because I will buy the entire store!
Here are 7 things that you probably didn't know about Target:
1. "Tarjay" has been Target's nickname since 1962!
2. The "red balls" that are in front of the store to make sure that cars don't drive up on the curb or into the store.
3. Target began as a six-story building that real estate developer, George Draper Dayton built after the Westminster Presbyterian Church fire in 1895. He later turned the building into a Target in the 60s!
4. The average Target customer is 40 years old and makes a median income of $64,000.
5. Target shopping carts are made out of recycled material
6. Target's carts are15-20 pounds lighter than a normal shopping cart.
7. If a sale item is priced with a .06 or .08 at the end, it’ll be marked down again.
The good news is that if you live in the New York City area, there are going to be 3 new Target's coming soon! The retailer says that it's bringing smaller format stores to the Upper East Side, Staten Island and Astoria in Queens. In a press release, Mark Schindele, senior vice president of properties at Target said "All three of these new stores will offer the best of Target in that borough, yet curate the assortment to meet the needs and preferences of the nearby community."
In places where a traditional-sized Target store may not fit such as in urban areas, dense suburban neighborhoods and near college campuses they plan on bringing the smaller format stores! Target plans on opening 130 of these stores by the end of 2019.... How exciting! More Target's!
Target says that all three of the stores will offer order pickups, where customers can buy online and pick them up in store roughly within an hour. Around 50 to 100 people will be employed at each store.
I don't know about you but I'm super excited for these new Target's to open!