Today is National Grilled Cheese Day! What a delicious sandwich to celebrate!
Just incase you're not familiar with what a grilled cheese is basically it's cheese in between 2 pieces of bread and you grill it. It has technically been around for a long time dating back to the 1920's! Once bread and cheese became available to most of the public, the grilled cheese was born!
There are actually lots of different ways to make grilled cheese. So I'm going to tell you some of the combos you can use to make a Bangin' sandwich!
First you're gonna need about 2 slices of a meltable cheese: American, muenster, Cheddar, Swiss, mozzarella, pepper jack, provolone, fontina (or you can mix cheeses)
Next you're gonna need 2 slices of bread: white, potato (my personal favorite), whole wheat, rye, brioche, pumpernickel
Lastly, you'll need a tablespoon of fat: butter, mayonnaise, chili, coconut or olive oil
There are also different methods for cooking it:
- Oven: The oven method is great if you're making a bunch of sandwiches. Preheat the oven to 450 degrees and place the tray on the middle rack. All you have to do take 2 pieces of bread and brush on the fat of your choice and then add the cheese of your choice! Make sure to flip the sandwich about 5 minutes in once the cheese starts to melt.
- Panini Press: This method makes a great crispy sandwich. Preheat the sandwich press to medium heat. All you have to do take 2 pieces of bread and brush on the fat of your choice and then add the cheese of your choice! Close the top of the panini press and cook the sandwich until it's golden brown and the cheese is melted.
- Skillet method: This is the most traditional method. Preheat the skillet over a medium-low heat. All you have to do take 2 pieces of bread and brush on the fat of your choice and then add the cheese of your choice! Flip the sandwich every 3-4 minutes until it's golden brown and the cheese is melted.
If you need more information and inspiration check out "The Perfect Grilled Cheese Recipe" on FoodNetwork's website!
If you wanna get really funky you could make or buy a rainbow grilled cheese!
To make your own rainbow grilled cheese you'll need shredded mozzarella cheese, food coloring, bowls, slices of bread and some butter.
- You'll have to split the mozzarella cheese into bowls depending on how many different colors you want.
- Squirt the food coloring into the bowls and mix the cheese together with a fork until it's all coated with color.
- Place the different mozzarella cheese colors in rows across one slice of bread.
- Then grill the sandwich until it's golden brown and the cheese has melted!