Lily Collins penned an inspiring essay for Seventeen magazine that will seriously make you want to give your younger self a big hug. Lily is about to debut her memoir, Unfiltered: No Regrets, No Shame, Just Me, which comes out on March 7th. As the daughter of legendary singer Phil Collins, Lily has grown up in the spotlight. She's managed to navigate her crazy life with grace, but it obviously wasn't always easy. She shared 17 things she wished she had known when she was 17 and after reading you'll want to build a time machine so your former self can read these words. Truthfully, though, these are wise words at any age!
"1. You accept the love you think you deserve.
2. When someone shows you who you are, believe them.
3. The quirky things that make you different are what make you beautiful.
4. Different is beautiful.
5. Be silly. It's attractive. Normal is so boring.
6.There is no such thing as perfect.
7. Just because something is in fashion doesn't mean you have to wear it.
8. A smile is the most attractive thing you can wear.
9. We ALL go through an awkward stage.
10. No one has the power to silence you.
11. Truly delicacy is not a fragile thing.
12. Don't let anyone ever dim your light.
13. People may not always like what you have to say but as long as you are kind and honest, they can't fault you.
14. People can only be helped as much as they want to help themselves.
15. Some things are just out of your control. Once you accept that, you will feel so free.
16. Ask your grandparents more questions. One day you won't be able to.
17. Everything happens for a reason. When something doesn't go your way, it means that something greater is at play."
Thanks for the amazing advice, Lily! We can't wait to read your book!