Demi Lovato's overdose on Tuesday (July 24) didn't come as a huge shock to close friends because there were some big warning signs in the weeks leading up to the incident.
According to a new report from TMZ, some of the singer's close friends have confessed that it had become apparent to them she slipped back into her drug use before she released "Sober" in late June. As the days passed, the signs only became more alarming, with one friend admitting that he knew she was in trouble when he saw her this week. It echoes a previous report that Lovato had a big falling out with her sober coach earlier in the month. Still, not all of Lovato's friends knew of the issues at hand. Other insiders admitted that they didn't see any of this coming. In fact, one friend even said he was at her home less than two weeks ago and the singer was in great spirits.
As the story goes, the 25-year-old was at her Los Angeles residence when she was given Narcan, a prescription used to counter the effects of opioids, after an overdose. On Tuesday night, an insider on Lovato's side revealed that heroin was not involved in her overdose, but wouldn't elaborate any further. It counters TMZ's original report, where law enforcement sources said heroin was the cause of her overdose. Meanwhile, her rep released a statement on the matter, saying, "Demi is awake and with her family who want to express thanks to everyone for the love, prayers and support. Some of the information being reported is incorrect, and they respectfully ask for privacy and not speculation as her health and recovery is the most important thing right now."
If you or someone you know is struggling with substance abuse, contact the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA) National Helpline at 1-800-662-HELP (4357).
Photo: Getty Images